1.11.2008

World of Warcraft - Interface Addon - Loot Track

Well the thumbs healing up nicely. Should get the stitches out on Monday.. With my gaming thumb out of commission, I have been catching up on some PC Gaming.. Notably some Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth, which is grand, and World of Warcraft. This brings me to the point of this post.

Way back when.. when I used to have a lot of time to play WOW, my main was a fire specced Mage enchanter. I used to do alot of farming for drops for disenchant loot. I used Thottbot for a while trying to determine which mobs dropped greens, or blues frequently, but it didn't work that well, since thott would tell you how often mobs would drop a given item. I wasn't really looking for this.. I just wanted to know how often an enemy would drop ANY item of green quality.. or blue quality.. etc.

In order to solve this dilemma I decided to code my own World of Warcraft interface addon. (Yes I know I am a nerd) Thus was born "Loot Track".

The purpose of this addon is to track how frequently any given enemy of a given level, will drop each quality item (grey, white, green, blue, purple, orange), and how much cash (in silver) it drops on average. The interface is very simple. You target a mob. If you have harvested it before, it will pop a list of how frequently it drops the different quality goods. It also lists how many times the enemy has been harvested, and the average cash it drops. If you have not harvested it before, nothing is displayed. The more you harvest a given enemy, the more precise the data becomes. Here is an example of the interface.

Loot Track interface

From this image we see the targetted mob, a level 7 Cursed Darkhound. From the Loot Track frame we see that I have harvested this particular enemy 40 times. On average it drops grey items 15% of the time, and white items 55% of the time. It drops no cash at all. The frame can be right clicked and dragged anywhere on the screen, so you can arrange it whereever you want.

This is a really simple addon. If you are looking for a good rough idea of what a mob is dropping, to figure out if you want to grind it, this addon is great. If you are looking for mass quantities of info on the mob, other addons are much better. MobInfo for instance is great for telling you just about anything you need to know. I use it all the time.

Anyway you can download Loot Track here. To install it, simply unzip and drop the "Loot Track" folder in your interface/addons directory. This app can even be distributed as long as I am properly credited, and you include a link to this blog from the distribution webpage. I hope you enjoy using this addon as much as I do. Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really great idea!

Thanks for sharing it!!!

Will come in very handy :)

Regards & Good Hunting

Roland

World of Warcraft Gold Guides said...

nice post!