4.14.2007

Everyone's a critic, and most people are douchebags

Wow, absolutely nothing going on worth writing about. I guess I'll continue my rant on what Nintendo is screwing up. Zelda DS, Wario DS- What do these 2 games have in common? They're both victim to this horrible new disease called Stylusitis. This is where Nintendo injects awful control into our most beloved games, then stands back and watches them die a slow awful death. I'm sure I've already bitched about this, but I'm really sick of Nintendo trying to fix what's not broken.

Yes, I'm overly critical about everything, but when I think back to Super Mario 64 I just can't imagine why you would screw with something that was so perfect. You don't have to constantly rebuild a game, sometimes it might just be "good enough". Well Nintendo saw things a little different and we ended up with Super Mario Sunshine, not a bad game, but still nowhere near the quality of SM64. Remember Wario Land 4 on the GBA? How about Zelda: The Minish Cap? Me too, they were both perfect 2D games that could have had a minor graphical upgrade, and nobody would have complained. Now we are getting the shaft again, this time in portable form. The stylus will be controlling just about EVERYTHING, from the movement of the character in Zelda, to the actions the character performs in both titles. Lets say you have to take a shit, when you go into the bathroom there is a little man in green tights (strangely enough he looks like Tingle) , he tells you he's been working on a new way to evacuate the excrement... and it's from your mouth now! It's actually even worse than you would imagine, but he doesn't care and insists that it will be a better way for you to "take care of business".

Some games will benefit from this type of control, some won't- but I feel that as a hardcore supporter of these franchises that I should be given a choice. Would you want this sort of thing to happen to a 2D metroid? Of course not, but who's to say it won't happen? I guess we have to vote with our $$$, as hard as it will be, I'm going to pass on both of these titles - and I've never left a Zelda title on the store shelf for more than 1 minute without rushing to the check out counter with it.

No comments: